Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) are course-long learning objectives set by teachers to identify and then monitor student progress along a learning progression towards critical learning outcomes. Based on the Colorado Academic and Common Core State Standards, the goal of SLOs is to focus teachers on setting ambitious, realistic and measurable objectives towards student mastery of the Standards.
Built upon more than a decade of knowledge and experience with DPS’s Student Growth Objectives (SGOs), SLOs allow teachers to start in the right place – determining what our students need to know by the end of each course to succeed in college, career and life. Teachers then plan backwards in an aligned, thoughtful way to ensure that every minute of instruction and assessment is working towards our common goal of Every Child Succeeds. By implementing SLOs, DPS seeks to maximize student growth by making effective teaching practices a part of every teacher’s planning.
DPS is sponsoring a research study conducted by Rutgers University that will result in a digital notebook of high quality assignments and student work examples to help teachers and schools with standards implementation and SLOs. Middle School Math and Science teachers will be asked to collect and review some student work examples and will be compensated $200 each for participating. You are strongly encouraged to participate in this effort. Click here for more details and next steps.
Click here for the direct link to the model SLOs and PBTs bank.
- Rubric Guidance
- Turnkey Deck: Building a Learning Progression Rubric
- Body of Evidence – Guiding Questions
- NEW! Preparing for LEAP MY Conversations – Additional Conversation Protocol
- Determine End-of-Year Command Levels – for use with multiple (>3) data sources – recommended – coming soon
- For School Leaders: Baseline Preparedness Guiding Questions for Conversations with Teachers
- For School Leaders: Accessing Reports on SLO Progress
- For School Leaders: Content-Area Contacts
For more detailed information on district Performance Based Tasks to match SLOs, click here.
|Megan Lovinguth||Assessment Support Manager|
|Jonathon Haradon||SLO Coordinator|
|Grace Saenz||Grant/SLO Team Coordinator|