Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) are course-long learning objectives set by teachers to identify and then monitor student progress along a learning progression towards critical learning outcomes. Based on the Colorado Academic and Common Core State Standards, the goal of SLOs is to focus teachers on setting ambitious, realistic and measurable objectives towards student mastery of the Standards.
SLOs provide a process by which teachers start in the right place – determining what our students need to know by the end of each course to succeed in college, career and life. Teachers then plan backwards in an aligned, thoughtful way to ensure that every minute of instruction and assessment is working towards our common goal of Every Child Succeeds. By implementing SLOs, DPS seeks to maximize student growth by making effective teaching practices a part of every teacher’s planning.
Please note that the Student Learning Objective (SLO) district window for completion and submission is May 1-20; however, teachers should ensure they know their school’s specific, individual deadline as decided by their school leader. The end of year deadline for SLO submissions continues to be prior to your LEAP end of year conversations. These submissions can be adjusted after the school leader’s review or if teachers have additional evidence of student growth after their first submission. Please contact email@example.com if you have additional concerns.
Click here to visit the SLO wiki page, which contains all model SLOs, and the Performance Based Task resource bank.
Click here to visit the SLO application.
- Rubric Guidance
- Turnkey Deck: Building a Learning Progression Rubric
- Body of Evidence – Guiding Questions
- Preparing for LEAP MY Conversations – Additional Conversation Protocol
- Protocol for Determining End-of-Year Command Levels
- Teacher-Student Attribution Guidance
- Preparing for LEAP EOY Conversations – Additional Conversation Protocol
- What Expected, One Year of Growth Looks Like From Different Preparedness Levels
For more detailed information on district Performance Based Tasks to match SLOs, click here.
- UPDATED! SLO Application Teacher User Guide – 15/16
- SLO Application Teacher End-of-Course Quick Reference User Guide 15/16
- UPDATED! SLO Application Evaluator of Teachers User Guide – 15/16
- SLO Application Evaluator End-of-Course Evaluation of Teachers – 15/16
|Megan Lovinguth||Assessment Support Manager|
|Jonathon Haradon||SLO Coordinator|
|Grace Saenz||Grant/SLO Team Coordinator|